Saturday, January 2, 2010

In Defense of Food

I'm reading this wonderful book. In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan explores how nutrition science can alienate us from food. The book jacket claims that most of what we're eating today is not food. Furthermore, the way we consume our food is not eating. The items we consume are no longer products of nature but of food science. (I think of a certain petroleum-based 'cheese' product).



Throughout my food journey over the years (from fast food junkie to vegetarian to gluten-free to locavore) I've become more an more passionate that whatever our food preferences/ethics/sensitivity, we should eat whole foods--the less tampered with the better. I've always felt that there are things inherent to food, and to sharing food, that can't be broken down in a lab.

Much of this book is common sense. Sometimes, it's nice to reinforce what we already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment