Saturday, January 9, 2010

"Can I Have Pizza?"

Until recently, raising a gluten-free toddler/preschooler hasn't been too difficult. Our boy never really questioned why his food is different. Now, he's becoming more socially aware. This is wonderful in so many ways; however, he's starting to ask for the food his friends (and father!) are eating. Life gets a little trickier. I can't insist that everyone around us eat gluten-free.

The other problem we face is that Kieran has no recollection of the effects of gluten on his body. It's not like we can say, "Remember that belly ache you had?"

So...I've been doing a little reading on this issue. Here's some ideas for making it easier:

  • give them some control over their diet (picking between items at the grocery store, baking together)
  • provide opportunities to share gf food with peers (dinner dates, cookie-making play dates)
  • ALWAYS have snacks on hand
  • reinforce that many people have the same concern
  • as a parent, always maintain a positive attitude about the diet (sometimes I find myself apologizing that he can't have certain things--something I must change)

No comments:

Post a Comment