Wednesday, January 6, 2010

GF Play Clay


Okay...those of us with children who are sensitive to gluten grow quite accustomed to reading labels on food. One day, as my son was playing with play dough, I read on the little tub that it contains wheat. Duh! It may sound strange, but I hadn't thought of that.

Kieran usually plays with play dough at the table (where he also eats). It gets under his nails. He pushes his cars through it. So if a little gluten is as harmful as a lot to someone who is sensitive/intolerant, this may not be good. Now, I've never noticed an adverse effect on my son. To me, the fun of play dough was more important than worrying about the gluten. However, in kids with high sensitivity, it may be an issue.

Because we need one more thing to worry about.

Worry no more.

My friend, Klaudia, sent Kieran a Christmas gift of gluten-free play dough.

It's also organic.

And scented with essential oils.

The ingredients include gluten-free flours, kosher salt, olive oil, natural colours, and essential oils.

So...as Kieran plays, pushes, and squeezes the play clay, the kitchen fills with the smell of bergamot, geranium, lavender, lemongrass, and sweet orange. And, as kids do, when he mixes them into a blob, the colour isn't ugly and the smells blend well.
Grand stuff.
Furthermore, since my boy's recovering from another seizure and medication changes, pounding away on clay is just what he needs. Our physio suggested that he do lots of it. It's funny. When I used to do pottery, I always noticed that a felt soooo much better about life after my three-hour class. Once, when I was really angry, I went to my pottery teacher's house and threw my first two bowls on the wheel (not literally--that's potter-speak for turning the clay on the wheel)...just like that...after months of trying. I still use those two bowls. I digress.

Here's the website. You can buy it on etsy.

http://www.mama-ks.com/

1 comment: